Spring is just around the corner, and the days are calling for Cauliflower Soup with Crispy Garlic Croutons. I have been obsessed with soup lately, and this recipe just tops them all (I know I say that a lot but its true!). This cauliflower soup is ultra-creamy and so so delicious. It’s also pretty darn healthy, so don’t be fooled by its creaminess. Paired with some fresh from the oven garlic croutons and you have the perfect lunch or dinner.
Make this soup for lunch or dinner and day of the week. This recipe is super quick and really easy to make. Cook up the veg, chuck everything in the blender, and you’re done! Well, almost. We can’t forget the croutons too… I am on a cauliflower craze at the moment, I’ve got so many recipes lined up for you guys, and with Spring inching her way closer, I seized the opportunity.
You’ve probably already got all the ingredients you need for this soup. All you need now is a cauliflower. And don’t forget the leaves! That’s right, not only is this recipe super yummy, it will also help you cut down on your food waste. Did you know you can eat cauliflower leaves? Yes, you can, and they’re packed full of flavour and nutrients. Give them a good wash, as you would with salad, and you’re set.
So, how do we achieve such creaminess?
The first step, as always, is to caramelise the onions and garlic. Add them to the pot along with a good helping of olive oil and saute those babies until they’re lovely and soft and golden. The rich caramel taste of the onions and garlic really rings through dishes if you cook them well, and they really bring out such amazing flavours in this recipe too.
Cut up the potato and cauliflower pretty small, so that they cook a little quicker (conserve your energy folks!). They’re going to be blended anyway. Add them to the pot along with the veg stock, and some salt and pepper. The key to this recipe is to not add too many seasonings. We want the main flavour to be the cauliflower, after all. Some basic veggie stock and s+p is enough this time. Once cooked, blend on high until creamy smooth, then serve topped with yummy garlic croutons.
The croutons really are the cherry on the top. I fully recommend making them from my traditional country bread loaf recipe, as it really gives you the crunchiest, crispiest, croutons (and if always feels extra good to say you made the bread yourself). Cube a couple slices of homemade bread, and toss them in some olive oil, minced garlic, and of course some salt and pepper. Bake until golden and crispy.
This soup is probably the best one I’ve made this season. It’s a great way of getting your veggies in, as well as warming you up from the inside. A hug for the soul. Trully. I’m super excited to be sharing this recipe with you guys and I can’t wait to hear all about it!
Finally, if you make this Cauliflower Soup with Crispy Garlic Croutons, make sure you leave a like and a comment down below! I absolutely love hearing from you guys, and you can be sure that I’ll try my best to get back to you soon! And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @amongsttheflour I love seeing the photos of recipes you’ve all made! Have a beautiful week, happy February, and I wish you a safe and warm rest of the winter! I look forward to hearing from your soon!
Vegan Cauliflower Soup with Crispy Garlic Croutons
- preparation time: 10 minutes
- cook time: 20 minutes
- total time: 30 minutes
- servings: 4
For the cauliflower soup:
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large white onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 russet potato
- 1 cauliflower (and the leaves)*
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh parsley, to garnish
*you can use the cauliflower leaves in this recipe to help reduce food waste (just give them a good wash and discard any that look old or damaged).
For the crispy garlic croutons:
- 2 slices traditional country bread loaf
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
To make the creamy cauliflower soup:
- Mince the onions and garlic, chop the potato into cubes, and cut the cauliflower (and leaves) into small pieces.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over a medium-high heat. Add in the onions and sauté for 5 minutes, until soft and golden brown. Add the garlic and continue to sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add in the potatoes and the cauliflower, along with the salt, pepper, and vegetable stock cube. Add in enough boiling water to partially submerge all the vegetables. Stir everything together and leave to simmer on a medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
- Once the potatoes and the cauliflower are cooked through, transfer everything to a heat-safe blender and blend on high until a thick and creamy soup has formed. Pour the soup back into the pan, season to taste, and keep warm until ready to serve.
To make the crispy garlic croutons:
- Whilst the vegetables for the soup are simmering, preheat your oven to 180˚C (350˚F) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or reusable silicone sheet.
- Cut your slices of bread into small cubes and spread them evenly over the baking sheet. Drizzle on the oil, minced garlic, salt, and pepper, and give everything a stir with your clean hands or a pair of tongs, until all the bread cubes are evenly seasoned.
- Bake the croutons in the over for 10-15 minutes, until they are crispy and perfectly golden.
Pour the hot soup into bowl, sprinkle on some croutons and parsley for garnish, and enjoy! Once completely cooled, this soup can be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Keep leftover croutons separate.
One thought on “creamy vegan cauliflower soup & crispy garlic croutons”