Sooooo, who else is really confused by the snow we got this morning? Snowy cold days call for a big bowl of soup in my opinion, and this Vegan Carrot & Butternut Squash Soup just hits the spot. I thought I was done with soups until autumn, but luckily I had some root veggies on standby. This Carrot Butternut Soup is so creamy and so delicious and it’s super simple to make.
I’m a sucker for soup, especially butternut soups. Add a little sage and some more veggies and you’ll got yourself the perfect bowl of sunshine. Just the thing you need to warm your soul in this confusing weather patch. The salads and fruits are going to have to wait a little longer, but that’s okay, because there’s still lots of excitement going on in the kitchen!
This Carrot Butternut Soup is completely vegan and super duper creamy and delicious. I really toned down the seasonings in this dish to let the flavours of the vegetables shine through and it is GORGEOUS. Think creamy, warming, soulful, cozy, butternut, keeping it a little chunky and a whole lot yummy. Grab your saucepan and a blender and let’s get cracking!
Achieving the soupiness…
First of all, make sure that all your produce is organic and locally sourced (read more about the importance of organic and locally grown food HERE). I’ve started getting my fruits and veggies from a local organic veg box and it’s been so awesome so far! Mince up the onions and garlic and add them to the pan with a good splash of extra virgin olive oil (my favourite). Fry until super golden and caramelised for an extra flavour.
I like to leave the skin on my carrots and just give them a good wash (it adds so much good flavour, and you get all the extra nutrition from the carrot peels). Cube the butternut (remove the skin and seeds – compost your scraps!) and carrot kind of small so that they cook quicker and add them to the pan along with the veggie stock and seasonings.
Simmer for a good few minute until the veggies are super soft. You could leave them al dente, but since I love leaving chunks in my soups, I want to make sure that everything is cooked through and not too crunchy. Add most of the veggies and stock to your blender and blend until ultra-creamy smooth. Add back to the pan, season to taste, and stir everything together until hot, steamy, and delicious.
Finally, if you make this Snow-In-Spring Carrot & Butternut Soup make sure you leave a like and a comment down below! I absolutely love hearing from you guys, and you can be sure that I’ll try my best to get back to you soon! And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @amongsttheflour I love seeing the photos of recipes you’ve all made!
Have a beautiful week, happy April, and I wish you a safe and warm Spring! I look forward to hearing from your soon!
Snow-In-Spring Carrot & Butternut Soup (Vegan)
- 1 organic white onion, minced
- 2 cloves organic garlic, minced
- 1/2 organic butternut squash, cubed
- 2 large organic carrots, chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp dried organic sage
- black pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over a medium-high heat. Add the onions to the pan and fry for 5 minutes until soft and lightly golden.
- Add in the garlic and fry for 2 minutes until caramelised. Add in the squash and carrots, stirring everything together until all the veggies are coated in oil.
- Add in the vegetable stock, sage, and black pepper, and stir everything together. Bring to the boil and leave to cook for 10-15 minutes until the veg is soft.
- Place two thirds (2/3rds) of the veg and stock into a highspeed blender and blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Add back to the pan and stir everything together over a low heat until hot through. Serve with a thick slice of bread and enjoy!
One thought on “snow-in-spring carrot & butternut soup”