If there’s a cake to be raving about this spring, it’s this Lemon Blueberry Sheet Cake… you guys I am obsessed with this recipe! I have to say this flavour combination is a classic for Spring time, and with the sun shining and the weather warming up, I thought it was time for some sunshine in the kitchen too. This cake is fairly healthy too, as cakes go.
To create such a yumminess and nutritiousness I combined oat flour and wholemeal flour for the base, keeping my other ingredients as simple as oil, healthier sugars, and fruits. This sheet cake is loaded with lemon and blueberry flavour, not too sharp, not too sweet. The perfect balance of springtime.
The secret to making a good plant based cake is to not use too much baking powder! I’ve made that mistake in the past and all of my cakes have fallen flat once taken out the oven. Make sure you use organic flours, only as much baking powder as required (trust me, you don’t need to add more) and a pinch of salt.
Whisk together your olive oil, maple syrup, coconut sugar, plant based yoghurt, and of course lemon zest and juice for extra zing. Don’t worry if the mixture splits. When it comes to combining all of the ingredients too, don’t over stir. As soon as you think everything is mixed in, stop, and gently fold in the blueberries. You want the cake to be light and fluffy.
And of course, the final stage is to bake until deliciously golden brown and cooked through. Once cooked, take them out the oven and leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes (important step, don’t miss it!). After a few minutes, remove from the tin and leave to cool completely upside down on a wire rack (this evens out the moisture in the cake and prevents the bottom getting too soggy from all the fruit).
Et voila! The most delightful afternoon treat for another glorious spring day! I love making this Lemon Blueberry Sheet Cake for tea parties or picnics, the perfect little snack to share with friends and family. Pair with a warming mug of Early Grey tea or a tall cool glass of Mint Lemonade.
Finally, if you make this Lemon Blueberry Sheet Cake make sure you leave a like and a comment down below! I absolutely love hearing from you guys, and you can be sure that I’ll try my best to get back to you soon! And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @amongsttheflour I love seeing the photos of recipes you’ve all made!
Have a beautiful week, happy April, and I wish you a safe and warm Spring! I look forward to hearing from your soon!
Healthy(ish) Lemon Blueberry Sheet Cake
- 75g oat flour
- 75g whole-wheat plain flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- pinch of fine salt
- 85ml extra virgin olive oil
- 65ml real maple syrup
- 55g coconut sugar
- 100g plant based yoghurt
- 1 lemon, the zest and juice
- 130g frozen/fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F) and line a brownie tin with parchment paper. In a bowl, mix together the oat flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, and salt until fully combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the olive oil, maple syrup, coconut sugar, and vegan yoghurt until the sugar has dissolved and everything is well combined.
- Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour mixture to the bowl of wet ingredients and stir everything together until well combined and smooth.
- Fold in the blueberries until evenly distributed throughout the batter. Transfer to the prepared brownie tin, spread with a spatula until the tin is full and the batter is flat on the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown on the top and cooked through. Once cooked, remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the tin and leave to cool completely upside down on a wire rack. Cut into 12 and serve. Enjoy!
One thought on “healthy(ish) lemon blueberry sheet cake”