Lately, I have been loving this Cheesy Mushroom & Chive Tofu Scramble. I have always loved a good scramble, but this recipe beats them all! It’s cheesy, there’s a punch of garlic from the chives, and the mushrooms bring a delicious caramel undertone to the whole dish. Serve on top of a fresh bagel and you’ve got the perfect breakfast, lunch, or brunch.
I absolutely adore making my tofu scrambles really interesting. Plain tofu scrambles can get a bit boring after a while, which is why I wanted to switch things up a bit with some classic spring flavours. Chives are currently the only thing I can harvest in my garden at this time of year, and I’m making the most of that! This dish is super easy, super delicious, and will definitely leave you wanting more!
Let’s get into the details…
First of all, as always, I make sure that all of my ingredients are organic and locally sources when I can get them. I love using walnut oil for frying, as it’s super taste and gives you those essential omegas really easily. Mince up the mushrooms really well and fry them until golden, crispy, and beautifully caramelised. To get that perfect scramble texture, I love to mash my tofu with a fork, getting rid of any large lumps that won’t take in the other flavours.
Add to the pan and fry until beautifully golden. Season well and add plently of vegan cheese. Lately I’ve been obsessed with an applewood smoked ‘cheddar’ that I found at my local supermarket. It brings a really subtle smoky undertone to everything and I absolutely love it. Add as much cheese as you want and stir until all melty, gooey, and smells divine.
Add plenty of chives to add some garlic flavouring and help cut through all that cheese. I find adding black pepper to the dish also gives it a real spicy pepperiness which just enhances the whole plate. Serve straight away on freshly toasted bagels and enjoy! A drizzle of hot sauce also works really well here, but I like to keep things simple. Enjoy!
Finally, if you make this Cheesy Mushroom & Chive Tofu Scramble make sure you leave a like and a comment down below! I absolutely love hearing from you guys, and you can be sure that I’ll try my best to get back to you soon! And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @amongsttheflour I love seeing the photos of recipes you’ve all made!
Have a beautiful weekend, happy last day of April, and I wish you a safe and warm Spring! I look forward to hearing from your soon!
Vegan Cheesy Mushroom & Chive Scramble
- serves: 1
- preparation time: 5 minutes
- cook time: 15 minutes
- total time: 20 minutes
- 2 tsp walnut oil
- 2 chestnut mushrooms
- 100g plain firm tofu
- 30g vegan cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh chives
- black pepper, to taste
- In a frying pan, add the walnut oil and heat on a medium-high heat.
- Mince the mushrooms and add them to the pan. Fry for around 5 minutes until all liquid has reduced and the mushrooms are golden and well caramelised.
- Whilst the mushrooms are frying, mash the tofu using a fork until it is fine and crumbly. Add to the pan with a little water and fry until well reduced, lightly crispy and golden.
- Finely grate the vegan cheese and add it to the pan along with the chives and black pepper. Mix and fry until thoroughly mixed, melted and hot through.
- Serve on freshly toasted bagels, in a breakfast taco, or on the side of a salad. Best served straight from the pan, whilst still hot and the cheese is melty. Enjoy!
4 thoughts on “vegan cheesy mushroom & chive tofu scramble”