Is there anything better than Crispy Baked Cauliflower Nuggets on a Friday night? Let me tell you, these nuggets are veggie packed, so so good, and they’re super easy to make. If you find yourself craving nuggets over the weekend (same dude) then have I got the perfect recipe for you. Sort of healthy, super tasty, and as always, as simple as can be. Let’s dig in!
Cauliflower has been an obsession of mine over the spring, but now we’re moving into summer temperatures and weather, I’ve been feeling buffet snacks and meals and these Crispy Baked Cauliflower Nuggets really hit the spot. Dunk in some spicy tomato sauce with a side of garlic fries and a tall glass of Mint Lemonade… am I speaking the foodie language or not?!
Let’s start by talking about cauliflowers…
First of all, buy organic where you can! I get all of my fruits and vegetables from an organic veg box which is delivered straight to my door every week. They’re super simple to sign up to and a great alternative to supermarket shopping. It feels really good to be supporting smaller, organic farmers from local farms, rather than intensive farming from overseas. Learn more about the importance of organic food here.
For this recipe you’ll need about ½ the head of a large cauliflower or a whole medium sized one. Remember to save the cauliflower leaves for another recipe (they’re super delicious) or chuck them on your compost heap if you have one (or donate them to a friend who does)! Learn more about the importance of sustainable gardening here. Chop the cauliflower into florets and give it all a good wash.
Making the batter is super easy (which I love). In a bowl, whisk together your flour (I used organic wholemeal to create a slightly (ever so slightly) healthier batter), hot or smoky paprika, salt and pepper, and yoghurt (I use an unsweetened plain oat yoghurt) until smooth and fully combined.
To make the coating, whizz up some stale bread chunks (I love love love using leftover sourdough for this) until you have breadcrumbs (check out my Rustic Country Bread Loaf for a great traditional homemade bread), then combine with more paprika and plenty of salt and pepper.
When you’re ready, dunk the cauliflower florets in the batter, fully coating them, then sprinkle on the coating until you’re completely covered in crispy goodness. Repeat for all the florets before placing them on a baking tray. Bake until golden brown, crispy, and hot. Serve straight away (be careful not to burn your tongue) with some spicy tomato sauce. Enjoy!
If you make these Crispy Baked Cauliflower Nuggets make sure you leave a like and a comment down below! I absolutely love hearing from you guys, and you can be sure that I’ll try my best to get back to you soon! And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @amongsttheflour I love seeing the photos of recipes you’ve all made!
Have a beautiful weekend, happy June, and I wish you a safe and warm Summer! I look forward to hearing from your soon!
Crispy Baked Cauliflower Nuggets
- 1/2 large cauliflower OR 1 medium cauliflower
FOR THE BATTER:
- 4 tbsp wholemeal plain flour
- 2 tsp hot paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 tbsp unsweetened plant yoghurt
FOR THE COATING:
- 8 tbsp sourdough breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp hot paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C (350˚F) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the stem and leaves of the cauliflower and cut the cauliflower into florets.
- Give the florets a good wash and cut them into roughly evenly sized pieces.
- To make the batter, mix together the plain flour, paprika, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Gradually add in the yoghurt one tbsp at a time, stirring continually, until everything is combined, and a smooth batter has formed.
- To make the coating, add the breadcrumbs, paprika, salt, and pepper to a separate bowl and mix together until thoroughly combined.
- One at a time, coat the cauliflower florets in the batter, scrape off any excess, then coat evenly in the breadcrumbs, shaking off any extra.
- Place each coated floret on the baking sheet, and once all the florets are done, baking in the oven for 30 minutes, until the cauliflower is cooked through and the coating is nice and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and serve straight away with ketchup (or any other sauce you love with your nuggets). Enjoy!
Once completely cooled, any leftovers (if there are any) can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, simple heat your oven to 180˚C (350˚F) and bake again until hot through and crispy (around 10-15 minutes depending on your oven).
3 thoughts on “vegan crispy baked cauliflower nuggets”
These look really delicious!
LikeLiked by 1 person