I don’t know about you but my toxic personality trait is being able to eat an entire packet of crackers and hummus whilst my dinner is cooking and then still being able to eat my dinner without difficulty. Honestly, how can you blame yourself when the crackers are THIS GOOD?! These Salt & Pepper Honey Spelt Sourdough Crackers are a definite favourite in this household, and yes you must serve them with hummus.
I do low-key have a cracker obsession. “Don’t forget the crackers.” As Wallace would say. It’s my go-to snack and making them yourself sort.. of.. makes.. them.. healthy? Not really but we can convince ourselves otherwise. In this recipe I’m using honey to flavour my crackers, but you can replace this with caster sugar or maple syrup if desired.
I’m also using wholemeal spelt flour instead of white flour to make my cracker dough, because we need those fibres and nutrients. And as always, ancient grains and sourdough are easier on the gut, aiding digestion and mixing up that microbiome (which we love love love here). Without further ado, let’s get into the recipe!
MORE SOURDOUGH RECIPES:
- Sourdough Brioche Rolls
- Super Simple Sourdough Brioche Loaf
- Sourdough Walnut & Cranberry Loaf
- Sourdough 4-Braid Brioche Loaf (No Aquafaba)
- Sourdough Cinnamon Roll Pull-Apart Loaf
- My Everyday No-Knead Sourdough Loaf
- Sourdough Strawberry Shortcakes
salt n pepper honey spelt sourdough crackers
- 230g bubbly sourdough starter
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey (or alternative)
- 300g wholewheat spelt flour
- 2 tsp fine salt
- Warm water, as needed
- Olive oil, for brushing
- Salt and pepper, to season
In the evening
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sourdough starter, oil, and honey until just combined.
- Add in the flour and salt and mix with a wooden spoon until the flour has fully absorbed and a dough begins to form.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for a couple of minutes until smooth.
- Add a splash of water as needed if the dough is a little dry. The dough should be smooth but not sticky or flaky.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a damp tea towel, and leave in a warm place to ferment overnight (8-12 hours).
In the morning
- Turn the dough out onto a clean, lightly floured surface and leave to sit for 10 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 160 C.
- Using a rolling pin or pasta roller, roll the dough into sheets until it is 2-3mm thin.
- Cut into long rectangles or squares and transfer to a lined baking tray.
- Brush with a little olive oil, sprinkle on some salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until golden brown and super crisp.
- Leave to cool completely until crispy and firm. Serve spread with dairy-free cream cheese and a drizzle of honey, or dip into hummus. Enjoy!
Once completely cooled, these crackers can be stored in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 2 weeks.
I hope you love these Salt & Pepper Honey Spelt Sourdough Crackers as much as I do. If you make this recipe, make sure you leave a like and a comment down below! I absolutely love hearing from you guys and you can be sure that I will try my best to get back to you soon! And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @amongsttheflour I love seeing the photos of recipes you’ve all made! Happy Spring and I wish you all a beautiful day!
2 thoughts on “salt n pepper honey spelt sourdough crackers”